[Histonet] Problem with Schiff's reagent

Emily Sours talulahgosh <@t> gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 18:48:18 CST 2009

First, I would try someone else's HCl, especially if it's from a different
lab.  You never know what happens in other people's labs.
Second, this is going to sound really dumb, but you should just remake it.
I had the color stay in after charcoal and I finally got sick of filtering
it, so I remade it.  It worked fine, so who knows what went wrong.
Lastly, when I used to make it, we'd cool it down before adding the acid
(about 50C) and then let it cool to room temp to add the sodium
metabisulfate.
No need to buy commercial Schiff''s, the old fashioned way saves
money....but if you're desperate, I'd buy some and figure out what went
wrong later.

Emily
--
It's like hearing Billy Joel play "Piano Man"-- joyless for all involved,
but demanded by a higher power.