[Histonet] Storage of Tissues

Breeden, Sara sbreeden <@t> nmda.nmsu.edu
Fri Feb 13 13:18:15 CST 2009

We researched the subject and this is what we do: 10 years for slides, 7
years for blocks.  Wet tissues ("surgicals", "biopsies") are kept for
about six weeks after final report is issued. Specimens are boxed daily
and marked with date; the lead tech in Receiving checks one or two
specimens from each box after a couple weeks to make sure final report
has been issued, then marks them with disposal date.  Necropsy tissues
are marked with a disposal date of six weeks from the date I get the
slides back from the pathologist(s).  Slides are sealed into cardboard
boxes and marked "Glass Waste" and disposed of via the City's solid
waste department; blocks are sealed into cardboard boxes, marked
"Paraffin Waste" and also disposed of via the City's solid waste dept.
Hope this helps.

Sally Breeden, HT(ASCP)
NM Dept. of Agriculture
Veterinary Diagnostic Services