[Histonet] uncertified techs in Histology

Swain, Frances L SwainFrancesL <@t> uams.edu
Fri Feb 13 08:49:24 CST 2009

Joe and Pam have excellent points.  We all need to advertise what we do.  Here in Arkansas when you tell the regular folks (non-medical) that you are a Histology Technician.  They ask do you do History research?  I know that sounds ignorant but the public is not very well informed as to the other medical professionals in this world.  Yes this includes even the Medical Technologists. Even the Cytotechnologists are an unknown or rarely known Medical Professional.  All of this is because, in most cases, we work behind the scenes as support personnel for doctors, nurses, lpns, cnas, etc that the patients and their families see.  When their loved one goes into the operating room for a biopsy they have no idea as to what it takes to make a diagnosis or to see why their loved one is so sick.  I am very proud to be a Histology Technician and I have talked, showed, and advertised my profession for 46 years.  If we all did this maybe we would have more folks to take our places when we retire. Maybe!!!!

Frances L. Swain HT(ASCP) A. A. S.
Special Procedures Technician
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
Center for Orthopaedic Research
Barton Research Building 2R28
4301 West Markham Street
Little Rock AR 72205
(501) 686-8739 PHONE
(501) 686-8987 FAX
swainfrancesl <@t> uams.edu email
-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Pamela Marcum
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2009 8:32 AM
To: 'JoeNocito'; 'Morken, Tim'; Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] uncertified techs in Histology

Joe is making good points here and I think it is something to think about
for all of us.  I know the Histology school at Pima Community College may be
closing in Tucson AZ too.  We keep trying for more schools and better book
training as well as mixing in actual laboratory experience in histology in
many areas of the country.  It is not filling these positions and while I
would like to see everyone certified and trained in a school it is not
happening.

I will be honest as some one trained as an OJT in the 60's I would not have
gone on with this field had I not had great mentors.  I could not thank Dr
George Gantner enough for starting me off not Dorothy Nagy enough for my
early training when we only had a few schools nationally and none close by.
I got my HT later so I would always have it.  My other education is really
secondary to histology which I consider a great profession whether in
clinical or research.

It is also a point that very (and I mean very) few people even know what
Histology is or how important it is to getting a correct surgical diagnosis.
While we are talking about the shortage and where to get people we should be
thinking of ways to market who we are and what we do so people want to
become histologists.  It is not happening and never will with ASCP nor is
much going on with NSH as far as I can see.  I attend and speak at state
meetings and region meetings all over the country and we are all seeing the
same thing and getting no help or feedback.  AS a volunteer organization we
can effect the areas we live in however, we need help to do it.

We have a school here in my area at Delaware Technical Community College and
it rotates people through various labs in the area.  This is a bone lab and
we show them plastics and other procedures we do that they may never see any
place else.  The University is nice enough to allow this so we have about
two hours with them one on one for show and tell.  I know for what we do it
is a good chance to see a bone research lab for large animal study as
opposed to rodent studies they will see in some areas.

Pamela A Marcum
University of Pennsylvania
School of Veterinary Medicine
Comparative Orthopedic Laboratory (CORL)
382 W Street Rd
Kennett Square PA 19438
610-925-6278