[Histonet] H&E CONTROL - RE: Histonet Digest, Vol 63, Issue 20

Kay, Karen KKay <@t> chr.ab.ca
Thu Feb 12 12:34:05 CST 2009

Hi Kimberly,
A H&E control slide should be run prior to any patient slides. Much
easier to fix issues before staining hundreds of patient slides.  We
create H&E control blocks with small portions of appendix, skin,
placenta, and liver embedded in one block. A technologist reads the
slide daily and records quality of nuclear and cytoplasmic staining as
well as the the lot number of both the hematoxylin and eosin. These
results are recorded electronically in our QA  LIS.
Should we encounter any issues with the control slide, changes are made,
and another control slide is run before any patient slides are stained.
While multiple control slide runs do not happen very often, it is still
much better to do that rather than correcting multiple sets of patient
slides.
The slides are dated and if more than one is required, numbered with the
appropriate number.  We keep our control slides each in a slide file
card for the week to refer to if we want to check any changes that may
be occuring. After that the control slides are moved to cardboard slide
boxes to be retained under our Canadian retention guidelines. The slide
boxes are dated with a date range of contents.
Hope this is of help to you.
Karen J Kay, MLT
Pathology Supervisor
Chinook Health Laboratory