[Histonet] HT training

Kim Merriam kmerriam2003 <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Feb 12 07:20:31 CST 2009

Hi Jennifer,

I am HT and QIHC certified and I received both certifications without working in a clinical lab (I did work in a hospital for about 3 months very early on in my career, but it was long before I took the HT exam).  I have been in the field for 22 years now, working in biotech, preclinical contract lab and big-pharma.

Anyway, you should be able to qualify to take the exam if you work with a boarded DVM pathologist (DACVP), that is how I qualified to take both of them.

Good luck!

Kim Merriam, MA, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Cambridge, MA

--- On Wed, 2/11/09, Jennifer Anderson <janderson <@t> halozyme.com> wrote:

From: Jennifer Anderson <janderson <@t> halozyme.com>
Subject: [Histonet] HT training
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Wednesday, February 11, 2009, 4:05 PM

Hello.

I am enjoying this discussion on the pro's and con's and plusses and
minuses of certification.  I did not know that clinical labs allowed
uncertified techs to process human clinical samples - that seems like it
would be a huge liability issue.  It shouldn't be that way - isn't
everyone else in a hospital setting certified somehow? (nurses,
radiology...)

I am not certified, and I am in a biotech setting (pre-clinical R&D).
I've just started this position and I'm working with an HT certified
person in the lab.  We both can trim and gross and cut and process and
stain, and troubleshoot.  However, she's a professional HT and it shows.
She has a lot of clinical background.  She has an amazing wealth and
breadth of knowledge and skill, and knows what to look for during
quality control issues.  She doesn't have to take time to peruse the
internet or books to get an answer to a histology problem.  However if
you asked her to do an ELISA or a Western Blot she would probably need
some help, unlike myself.  I do hope to gain histology knowledge from
her, although it's proving to be difficult.

I am very interested in developing my skills and learning more about
pathology and the science of staining.  I would love to be HT certified,
but the HT here said I would need to train in a clinical setting for a
year, under an ASCP pathologist, which is not likely with the job that I
have and being a mom of two.  Would anyone know of a less rigorous
training program?  Something online?

Thanks a lot.
Jennifer Anderson

The information transmitted in this email is confidential and is intended only
for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed.  Delivery of this message
to any person other than the intended recipient(s) is not intended in any way to
waive confidentiality or any applicable privilege.  Any review, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this
information by individuals or entities other than the intended recipient is
prohibited by Halozyme and may be in violation of applicable laws.  If you
received this in error, please contact the sender and delete/destroy this email.