[Histonet] uncertified techs in Histology

McCormick, James JMcCormick <@t> schosp.org
Wed Feb 11 17:31:07 CST 2009

Dear Ms.Marcum,
Congratulations to you for your accomplishments, and they are many. And,  to everyone else in Histoland that has grown with OJT....after all it's experience on the job that provides the opportunity to learn.  Certification is a method of finding the finish line of the path through any discipline. In fact it is not the end but rather the beginning ! My own experience with Histotechnology is OJT.....in the classroom, in the garage, in the basement shop....wherever I have been given the opportunity to make mistakes and benefit from someone who would show approval or nudge me in the right direction.
Today, as we speak , I continue to try and find a better path, a better method, a better solution to one of the problems of histotechnology. The HistoNet is a wonderful forum of learning.  This is our OJL blog and I appreciate the candor of all participants.  We have a common goal....good work....for the profession, and each day another OJT opportunity.
Regards,
J.B.McCormick,M.D.
CSO Leica-biosystems,
St. Louis, Mo

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Pamela Marcum
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 12:16 PM
To: 'Martin, Gary'; Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] uncertified techs in Histology

I am sorry I seemed to have expanded this discussion.  I want to be clear on
part of the record.  I was OJT trained in the 60's.  We had even fewer
schools and options then.  The person who trained me had been trained by the
pathologist and the Ann Preece book in histology.  She knew what the
pathologists we worked with wanted and saw to it that was what they got
everyday.

When I worked in other places later and continued my education I did learn
more about the chemistry and why it worked or failed.  I was in research
when I took my HT and was told if I used animal tissue I would fail as no
one on the board back then was experienced with it.  I did not know if it
was true so I quickly found a hospital where I could complete everything on
human tissue I processed and stained.  The person running that lab required
me (thank goodness) to process every piece of tissue and do every stain
manually.  We did not have automated stainers back then so I learned every
step.

So for those who think I am picking on them for OJT training it is not that
I disapprove.  I believe histology is too important not to be considered
professional field that requires consistent training and education.  Many of
us old timers have fought hard for the education clause so we would have
people who were licensed and fully trained.  I did get my BS and more
education so I did get more on my own.

Pamela A Marcum
University of Pennsylvania
School of Veterinary Medicine
Comparative Orthopedic Laboratory (CORL)
382 W Street Rd
Kennett Square PA 19438
610-925-6278