[Histonet] RE: uncertified techs in Histology

Bartlett, Jeanine (CDC/CCID/NCZVED) jqb7 <@t> cdc.gov
Wed Feb 11 16:34:07 CST 2009

Jodie,

I agree, but a good program cannot be beat.  I had 2 years of college back in the early 1970's and then attended a 12 month accredited histology program.  I passed my registry and have been in this field ever since.  However, it was not until I went back and complete my degree (just a few years ago) that I was eligible for the level of pay that my co-workers that had degrees were already earning.  I can honestly say that those extra 2 years of college did not make me a better employee but it did bring a great since of accomplishment and pride.

The 12 months of training in the accredited program I attended is what made be an accomplished histotech.

Jeanine Bartlett

________________________________

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu on behalf of Jodie Robertson
Sent: Wed 2/11/2009 5:26 PM
To: JR R; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] RE: uncertified techs in Histology

I've been listening to this and there's so much controversy.  The real
bottom line of this is work ethics.  It really doesn't matter if you
have a degree or not.  You have to work, and work hard to prove
yourself.  I'm proud to be OJT.  I worked hard for my certification.  I
didn't have the "theory" behind things initially but I learned them thru
mentoring and reading and studying and such.  Some people have good work
ethics and are stellar performers and others don't and some of those
that don't have a degree and some don't.  I've been doing this for 15
years now and I've worked with both types.  I've had wonderful
opportunities and have taken advantage of each and every one to learn
more.  I learn every day.  Histology is a wonderful constantly changing
field in many ways.  Instead of stating negatives so much, look how far
we've come and how far we can go.

Jodie Robertson, HT(ASCP) QIHC
Pathology Sciences Medical Group
Chico, CA  95926