[Histonet] uncertified techs in Histology

Tom McNemar TMcNemar <@t> lmhealth.org
Wed Feb 11 12:56:10 CST 2009

I'm sure that I'm gonna get blasted but......

I'm sorry but I stand by the statement.  I have been a certified HT for 30 years now.  I will take an uncertified tech who can get a quality slide to the pathologist in a timely fashion over one who can tell me about it but can't do it.  We all know that they are out there.

Yes, perhaps the "lure" was insufficient but that is out of my control and irrelevant.  The bottom line is that none were willing to accept what I had to offer.

Certification does not make a good histo tech.  Certification is a stamp of validation.  It says that someone passed a test so they must be good.  There are many very good uncertified people in histology.

Certification lost some of its validity when they did away with the practical part.  I would prefer to have someone who can actually do the work and not just talk about it.

Given my choice, I would love to have all certified techs but I live in the real world and it's not likely to happen in my remaining time.  Everyone talks of quality like it comes magically from having a piece of paper.  It don't.  Quality comes from experience and practical training.  And in the long run, that paper has very little to do with it.

Let the flamming begin!

Tom McNemar, HT(ASCP)
Histology Co-ordinator
Licking Memorial Health Systems