[Histonet] brain sections falling off slides during IHC

Perry, Margaret Margaret.Perry <@t> sdstate.edu
Wed Feb 11 12:04:56 CST 2009

A few years ago we also had this problem.  The brains were terrible.  We found that changing our processing chemicals, especially the wax, more frequently got rid of most of our problems.  We use Fisher plus slides. There is a difference in plus slides.  I recommend you contact several distributors and get samples and pick the one that works best for you.  After cutting we have a fan that air dries the slides until the sections look dry about 10- 15 min.  The slides are dried overnight on top of our embedder so that they are heated slightly.  The next day they are dried for 1 hour at 60° C.  We developed this method for cattle ear notches and about the only reason tissue comes off the slide now is because the tissue is necrotic or not fixed properly.

Margaret Perry HT (ASCP)
IHC Lab Manager Veterinary Science
Animal Disease Research and Diagnostic Lab
South Dakota State University
Box 2175 North Campus Drive
Brookings SD 57007