Subject: [Histonet] brain sections falling off slides during IHC

Bull, Jennifer L. Jennifer.Bull <@t> northwestpathology.com
Wed Feb 11 10:38:49 CST 2009

What  type of plus slides are you using? There are a few companies out there selling a "super" adhesive slide for just such applications. We use the Bond380 slide from TruScientific for all of our brain, autopsy and fatty tissue when performing IHC. We rarely have any compromised tissue and that is using the Dako platform and the PT Module for retrieval. I know there are other companies that carry similar slides, but we found the best pricing on these. You can reach them at 877-677-7523.

You might also try skipping the oven and air drying your sections overnight follwed by a run over the heat plate before starting the staining process.

Jennifer Bull
jennifer.bull <@t> nwpathology.com

Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 7:38 AM

Hello all,

Can any of you all with experience immunostaining brain sections please help.  My sections are almost completely washing off the slides.  I am using 10% NBF fixed canine brain sections.  Embedded in paraffin and sectioned at 4 microns on plus slides with distilled water in the water bath.  The slides are dried at 65 C for 15 minutes and allowed to stand overnight.  I am using a Dako Autostainer for staining.  There is no antigen retrieval step.  My staining procedure is approximately 3.5 hours long.  At the completion of the procedure, the tissue on my slides is 50-80% washed off.

Any thoughts??

Christina Thurby