[Histonet] uncertified techs in Histology

Tom McNemar TMcNemar <@t> lmhealth.org
Wed Feb 11 10:36:02 CST 2009

Perhaps in a perfect world....  My world is less than perfect.  For our last opening, we spent 10 months trying to find and lure a certified tech to our facility and then gave up and took an MLT.  We have four techs and two of us are certified HTs.  We recently hired a person off the street and trained them to be a histology assistant.  It has been very beneficial for us.  She files slides, covers the late grossing (assists the pathologist), coverslips, etc.

It doesn't take an advanced degree to do histology.  You gotta do what you gotta do to get the work out.

Tom McNemar, HT(ASCP)
Histology Co-ordinator
Licking Memorial Health Systems
(740) 348-4163
(740) 348-4166
tmcnemar <@t> lmhealth.org
www.LMHealth.org

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of Larry
Woody
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 11:10 AM
To: rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com; Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; Steven Coakley
Subject: Re: [Histonet] uncertified techs in Histology

This has been an ongoing issue for so many years in histology, I've always wanted to see a mandatory license in the field but that always starts a firestorm of controversy. If you have surgery, you certainly want a board certified surgeon to do it and same with the Pathologist that looks at the slides so wouldn't you want a certified tech doing the lab work as well?

Larry A. Woody
Seattle, Wa.