[Histonet] uncertified techs in Histology

Mary Abosso mabosso <@t> unipathllc.com
Wed Feb 11 10:18:39 CST 2009

Many areas have to go to unregistered techs out of necessity due to the high vacancy rate in our field since the ASCP made changes to the career path for the HT board requirements.  Many of these facilities have either formal or informal training and have turned out many very good, high quality techs.  Yes, some may be skilled at the "art" of histology, but lack the understanding that is behind the science.  These often can embed, cut and do special stains with superior quality and happy pathologists.  I have seen registered techs that have all the intelligence that their sheepskins say, but totally lack the hands on skills needed to produce superior quality material for patient diagnosis.  While this is only my opinion, I wish that there was still the route for OJT as long as there is a certified tech in place for training.

My two cents worth,
Mary Abosso

________________________________

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu on behalf of Steven Coakley
Sent: Wed 2/11/2009 7:55 AM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] uncertified techs in Histology

Any thoughts or experiences with my fellow HT/HTL's(ASCP).  What the big advantage do all these facilities think there gaining by going with unregistered techs, especially when theres always ongoing quality issues when theres so many trained certified HT looking for work?  In my area of the country I can't believe how many Hospitals go this way.