[Histonet] Disinfecting Cryostat

Caroline Miller cmiller <@t> gladstone.ucsf.edu
Mon Feb 9 12:17:19 CST 2009

In the UK (where I used to run a clinical lab) we also would turn off
the cryostat in the morning, wait for it to defrost then just before
going home for the evening heat up some formalin in the microwave and
place that in the chamber and leave overnight.

It certainly kills everything, but it is also kinda toxic to your
lungs! I wouldn't suggest it but it is a 'severe cleaning' option,
especially if you have had something nasty in there.

This was about 5 years ago, the rules may have changed, and Yes, I do
realise just how bad that is for you and everyone around!

Caroline

Caroline Miller
Co-Manager
J David Gladstone Institutes Histology and Microscopy Core
1650 Owens St
San Francisco
CA 94158

http://www.gladstone.ucsf.edu/gladstone/site/histology/