[Histonet] Re: Paraffin Blocks

Weems, Joyce JWeems <@t> sjha.org
Thu Feb 5 17:12:45 CST 2009

I've been preaching this sermon for several years!!!  We must do
something!!!  j

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Robert
Richmond
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2009 5:28 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Re: Paraffin Blocks

How long to retain paraffin blocks (human tissue) is an issue that's
going to need re-thinking.

Presently most pathology services in the USA retain them for no more
than ten years. If the laboratory closes, slides and blocks are disposed
of immediately.

It seems to me that in the coming age of molecular pathology, there will
be a lot more interest in recovering paraffin blocks after longer
periods of time. I think that the regulatory agencies will soon need to
address this problem.

Storing present-day paraffin blocks, with their bulky plastic mounts and
low-melting waxes, is going to become even more difficult than it is
now, as hospitals and other facilities consider the cost of maintaining
and cooling storage space.

I don't think it's possible to triage blocks and slides for disposal at
the time the case is signed out. It sounds like a good idea, but the few
times I've seen it tried it didn't work. Also, we really don't know what
we're going to need to recover in the future.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist (nearly 70, isn't going to have to worry about this
problem) Knoxville TN

Confidentiality Notice:
This email, including any attachments is the
property of Catholic Health East and is intended
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).
It may contain information that is privileged and
confidential.  Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are
not the intended recipient, please reply to the
sender that you have received the message in
error, then delete this message.