FW: [Histonet] Effects of Inking on Special stains or IHC

Lester Raff MD LRaff <@t> uropartners.com
Fri Dec 18 14:22:20 CST 2009

We use six different colors of marking inks (black, blue, purple,
yellow, green, orange)and have not noticed any interference on IHC.  We
did decide not to use red ink since we were concerned it might make the
Vulcan fast red chromogen used in our PIN4 cocktail hard to interpret.

Lester J. Raff, MD
Medical Director
UroPartners Laboratory
2225 Enterprise Dr. Suite 2511
Westchester, Il 60154
Tel 708.486.0076
Fax 708.486.0080

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Matt
Brooks
Sent: Friday, December 18, 2009 2:20 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Effects of Inking on Special stains or IHC

Hello All,

One of my pathologists asked the following question.  "Does inking
tissue effect special staining or IHC results?"  I replied that I had
never heard of this and not to my knowledge.  I thought that if the
chromagen was the same color of the dye then there could be some
difficulty in deciphering between the two.  Therefore, I am wondering if
anyone has experienced a problem.

Matt Brooks, BS, HT (ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
InCyte Pathology