[Histonet] Lab chair

Jones, Lynne jonesly <@t> mir.wustl.edu
Thu Dec 17 10:21:11 CST 2009

Hello -
I'm a bit late replying (and can't locate the e-mail address of the OP), but I hope the information below is useful.  I have rather strong opinions on this subject :)  Our technicians can easily spend 6-8 hours seated at the bench, and after 15 years at the bench myself, I understand that proper seating (and lighting and instruments) is a necessity, not a luxury.

When we moved into a new facility, I wanted ergonomic chairs that were durable, (relatively) solvent resistant and easily cleaned. We work with biological material, solvents and radioactivity, and often perform hours of gross dissection. I had used several styles of Safco seating in another facility and even after 7 years they showed minimal wear.

Similar but less expensive lab stools/chairs are sold by some of the large science and office supply companies and with whom we have contracts, so I had to plead my case that the Safco chairs I selected were not an extravagance.  (Office and lab seating was in the process of being standardized as a cost-saving measure, and so it was an opportune time for input from folks in the lab.)  Several vendors provided demo chairs and I brought over a Safco chair and stool as well as one of the less expensive lab chairs to illustrate typical wear.  (When the outer skin wears off the less expensive foam chairs, from physical wear and exposure to cleaning solvents, they become more porous and removal of radioactive contamination is more challenging.) Everybody got to try out all the chairs, and we talked about the pros and cons of  specific features, and also the challenge of finding chairs to fit employees with varying proportions.   We also discussed features that should be avoided for lab seating - like mesh backs in any lab that works with blood or biohazards.  (Some vendors don't seem to understand the difference between office and lab seating.)

You may find other models that fit your needs, but in my experience, adjustable backs and seats that tilt to adjust significantly ease the inevitable fatigue that comes from sitting for >4 hours as do foot rings, while fixed armrests set an improper height can increase strain.  I have no affiliation with the Safco company, but have been very impresses with the SitStar stool series and the Taskmaster 5113 seating.

Here is the website: http://www.safcoproducts.com/
SitStar 6660 stools (all with optional backs).
SitStar 6659 stools (one with no back, two with backs).
Optional SitStar 6661 backs to go with the stools.
Taskmaster 5113 chairs (two with arm-rests).
Optional Taskmaster 5144 T-Bar Armrests to go with the chairs.

My views are my personal opinions and don't represent my employer, but without ergonomic seating, I know my own productivity would be reduced.

Lynne Jones

Message: 3