[Histonet] Using acetic acid alone as a fixative

Bryan Hewlett bhewlett <@t> cogeco.ca
Sun Dec 13 13:02:39 CST 2009

Hi Gayle,

You are generally correct.
Essentially, the only proteins denatured (fixed) by acetic acid are the
nucleoproteins.

However, 5% aqueous acetic acid has been used as a fixative for chromosomes
in fresh material (commonly plant).
We used this in school to see mitosis in onion root tip, how's that for a
six decade old memory?
I have also used this more recently (only four decades back) to fix cell
cultures prior to staining for karyotype analysis.
Today most labs use acetic/methanol for this purpose.

The methods that I am familiar with, use either aceto-carmine or
aceto-orcein as a combination fixative/stain for chromatin.
I am sure that John K. can also come up with a version for Nissl substance.

All the best for the season.

Cheers,

Bryan