[Histonet] maximum block cutting

WILLIAM DESALVO wdesalvo.cac <@t> hotmail.com
Wed Dec 9 22:27:13 CST 2009

There are no "industry" or "regulatory" standards that dictate a production maximum for blocks cut or slides produced hourly or daily. It is impossible to compare labs and set productivity standards becauseof the lack of standardized processes and protocols in Histology. I suggest that techs participating in a critical task, such as microtomy, for more than two hours consecutively, cannot consistently perform that task at an optimal productivity rate and error free. We should concenttrate our efforts on standardization of process and error reduction before considering setting production limits.

William DeSalvo, B.S., HTL(ASCP)