[Histonet] FL Supervisor License

Santiago, Jerry jerry.santiago <@t> jax.ufl.edu
Mon Dec 7 13:17:07 CST 2009

Marie,

If the person is licensed as a technologist with no ASCP certification
but at least 5 years of experience, he/she qualifies under rule
64B3-5.002(C)(3). See below.

64B3-5.002 Supervisor.
Qualifications and Responsibilities.
(1) Qualification. Degrees or semester hours of academic credit required
in this section shall be obtained at a regionally accredited college or
university or by foreign education equated pursuant to subsection
64B3-6.002(6), F.A.C. In order to be licensed as a supervisor, an
applicant shall be licensed or meet the requirements for licensure as a
technologist, have a Board approved 2-hour course relating to the
prevention of medical errors, which shall include root-cause analysis,
error reduction and prevention, patient safety, complete an educational
course acceptable to the Department on human immunodeficiency virus and
acquired immune deficiency syndrome, and one of the following:

(c) Histology

Route 1

Five years of pertinent clinical laboratory experience in histology and
25 hours of Board-approved continuing education in supervision and
administration within the previous 5 years and HTL (ASCP)

Route 2

Five years of pertinent clinical laboratory experience
post-certification and 48 hours of Board-approved continuing education
in supervision and administration within the previous 5 years and HT
(ASCP)

Route 3

Five years of pertinent clinical laboratory experience, and 48 hours of
Board-approved continuing education in supervision and administration
within the previous 5 years, and licensure as a technologist in the
specialty of histology

Jerry Santiago, BS, HTL(ASCP)QIHC
Shands Jacksonville
655 W 8th Street