[Histonet] Alcian Blue

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Sun Dec 6 13:14:58 CST 2009

If the powder and the method are the same, and the pH-meter is calibrated, then look to your distilled water source. That should be "the culprit".
If now it is "deionized" and previously it was "glass distilled", that should account for the difference. Perhaps there is a problem with the "deionizer" used for your water supply.
René J.

--- On Sun, 12/6/09, Diana McCaig <dmccaig <@t> ckha.on.ca> wrote:

From: Diana McCaig <dmccaig <@t> ckha.on.ca>
Subject: [Histonet] Alcian Blue
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Sunday, December 6, 2009, 1:47 PM

In the past, when we made up 1% Alcian blue in 3% acetic acid (using
bottle distilled water), the pH was always 2.5.  We did not have to
modify it to get the proper pH.  Still using the same powder, we are
getting a pH of 2.1.  I hate to adjust it because it seems to affect the
staining.  Any suggestions.  The pH meter is calibrated monthly.

Diana