[Histonet] OT fuchsia

Gudrun Lang gu.lang <@t> gmx.at
Sun Dec 6 02:44:02 CST 2009

Hi Bob,
You made me wondering if your explanation of the flower's name is true,
because German Fuchs means fox and I grew up with the believing, that the
name is derived from the red colour of the fox. - But I was wrong.
I found the history of the exploration on a Fuchsien-website.

The discoverer was the Franziskaner-Monk Charles Plumier, born on 20th April
1646 in Marseille. He was sent by Louis XIV to Santa Domingo (Dom.Rep.).
There he found the flowerbush and called it "Fuchsia triphylla flore
coccinea" after Leonhart Fuchs (1501-1566), a German botanist and medic.

Perhaps I tell you nothing new, but for me it was just interesting to look
it up.

Regards
Gudrun

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] Im Auftrag von Robert
Richmond
Gesendet: Sonntag, 06. Dezember 2009 04:20
An: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Betreff: [Histonet] Re: staining for lipofuscin

Worthwhile to get the name of the stuff straight -

Lipofuscin - pronounced LIE-po-FUSS-in - from the Latin word fuscus,
'dark' - is the yellow-brown pigment.

Often confused with fuchsin - FYOOK-sin - dyes named after the color
fuscia (FYOO-sha) which is named after the flower, which is named
after somebody named Fuchs (FOOKS).

Confusing.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist