[Histonet] Formaldehyde Vapors

Walter Benton WBENTON <@t> umm.edu
Fri Dec 4 09:12:50 CST 2009

Are you using the potassium permanganate filters? Are you evaluating and changing them as needed. Instructions to evaluate the pellets are listed on page 120 of the Mopec catalogue and probably can be found online. Basically the test has you check the pellets for color, Purple = New, Dark Brown the pellet is spent. We have used these filters for a while now and find that they work well provided they are changed at appropriate intervals.

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Kathy M.
Gorham
Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2009 11:36 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] FORMALDEHYDE

Good Morning Histo Land, I was just informed that on my last test sample
for formaldehyde vapors was very high.  Right now I have to wear a
respirator while grossing and assisting grossing.  We are looking at why
the Mopec grossing station is not working in fact we have not had really
good results since we put it in.  I'm wondering if anyone else is having
the same problem or know of a better solution.  Our grossing station is
the one that is self contained with filters. Also is anyone using with
good result a formalin substitute? If so which one?
Thanks and Have a great day,

Kathy Gorham, H.T.
Grande Ronde Hospital
La Grande Oregon

Walter Benton, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Histology Supervisor
University of Maryland Medical Center
Anatomic Pathology
22 S. Greene St
Room NBW65
Baltimore MD 21201
(Direct) 410-328-0930
(Lab) 410-328-5524
(Fax) 410-328-5508

This e-mail and any accompanying attachments may be privileged, confidential, contain protected health information about an identified patient or be otherwise protected from disclosure. State and federal law protect the confidentiality of this information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient; you are prohibited from using, disclosing, reproducing or distributing this information; you should immediately notify the sender by telephone or e-mail and delete this e-mail.