[Histonet] what book to study for registry?

Robert Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 22:21:35 CST 2009

I'm working with a thirtysomething man with a degree in chemistry and
a good bit of experience under his belt, who in these bad times wound
up signing on as a histech with no experience. Trained by an elderly
minimally competent tech, he's rapidly blossomed - is making superb
slides and is really interested in histotechnology. He's appalled by
the minimal knowledge of science of his co-workers.

With the base ulterior motive of trying to keep him from taking off
when times get better, I've been strongly encouraging him to take the
registry exam when he becomes eligible in a few more months. I'll try
to work with him as much as I can.

My question to you all is - what book should he be studying? Is the
exam still based on Freida Carson's book (2nd ed) which we have, or is
there a more recent book we should get?

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN