[Histonet] RE:Formaldehyde

Griffin, Michelle A michelle-griffin <@t> uiowa.edu
Thu Dec 3 12:15:19 CST 2009

Our lab tried the self contained grossing station with filters
(bench-top) and we had troubles with it adequately filtering formalin
fumes (even though the spec sheet stated that was what it was for...from
MOPEC). We ended up installing a fume hood to use for gross prosection,
waste discard, etc. In our situation and experience, the fume hood was
the best way to go, especially when we need to use extra precautions for
tissue fixing/staining/etc.

Michelle A. Griffin
Research Assistant II
University of Iowa
Department of Pathology
200 Hawkins Drive
143 Medical Research Center
Iowa City, IA 52242

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Kathy M.
Gorham
Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2009 11:36 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] FORMALDEHYDE

Good Morning Histo Land, I was just informed that on my last test sample
for formaldehyde vapors was very high.  Right now I have to wear a
respirator while grossing and assisting grossing.  We are looking at why
the Mopec grossing station is not working in fact we have not had really
good results since we put it in.  I'm wondering if anyone else is having
the same problem or know of a better solution.  Our grossing station is
the one that is self contained with filters. Also is anyone using with
good result a formalin substitute? If so which one?
Thanks and Have a great day,

Kathy Gorham, H.T.
Grande Ronde Hospital
La Grande Oregon

GRH National Recognition
Outstanding Rural Health Organization of 2009 awarded by NRHA Gold
Standard Critical Access Hospital 2009 awarded by LarsonAllen LLP Leader
in Innovative Excellence 2009 awarded by the OAHHS

GRH Mission
We will ensure ACCESS to superior QUALITY, affordable health care for
all those in need of our services, including underserved populations
within our communities.

GRH Confidentiality Notice
This e-mail and any attached documents are for the intended recipient/s
only and should be protected against viewing by unauthorized persons.
The information herein may have been disclosed from records whose
confidentiality is protected by Federal and State Law. Federal
regulations prohibit further distribution or copying of this information
without permission.  If you received this e-mail transmission in error,
please notify the sender immediately to arrange for return or
destruction of this information.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
 The information in this e-mail may be confidential and/or
 privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient or an
 authorized representative of the intended recipient, you
 are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, or
 copying of this e-mail and its attachments, if any, or
 the information contained herein is prohibited.  If you
 have received this e-mail in error, please immediately
 notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this e-mail
 from your computer system.  Thank you.