[Histonet] Histotechnician/Histotechnologist position, Veterinary Molecular Biology, Montana State University, Bozeman MT (VERY LONG message)

gayle callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Wed Dec 2 15:42:24 CST 2009

Dear Histonetters

Our laboratory has advertised for a registered HT or HTL (ASCP) and the
following job description is posted on our university website.  Although  MS
degree was put as the required qualification,  a bachelors degree will be
closely considered.   Bozeman is located 90 miles north of Yellowstone
National Park, and is a wonderful place to live, ski, fish, hike, climb,
mountain bike, hunt, raise a family, and enjoy beautiful mountains
surrounding the valley.

Please read the following job description and pay close attention to what is
written in bold letters.

Research Associate of Mucosal Immunology - Pascual Lab , Veterinary
Molecular Biology <http://vmb.montana.edu/index.htm>  , Montana State
University,  Bozeman MT 59717

Search Number:  1035-3

Required Qualifications:  Master's of Science degree, preferably in
Immunology, Microbiology, Biology, or closely related field.

Preferred Qualifications: HT or HTL(ASCP) registered or registry eligible.

Microbiology experience.

Experience with rodent tissues.

Successful research experience

Proficiency in operation and maintenance of automated tissue processor,
embedding center, microtome, and cryostats.

Proficiency in research tissue cryotomy, including snap freezing and
cryosectioning tissues.

Extensive experience working with mice or related small animals

Ability to design experiments and interpret data.

Demonstrated written communication skills

$32,000- $38,000 per year depending upon experience, education and
qualifications.

Duties and Responsibilities include: 1. Test existing and new therapeutics
to treat autoimmune diseases such as experimental autoimmune
encephalitomyelitis (EAE) and collagen-induced arthritis (CIA). 2. Process
necropsy and biopsy samples using routine or special fixation, dehydration,
clearing, embedding, and microtomy for routine H&E. 3. Perform special
staining, immunohistochemical and immunofluorescent staining, and enzyme
histochemistry to determine the involved cell types in the biopsied samples.
4. Possess ability to develop new assays to detect novel cytokines in tissue
samples. 5. Possess the ability to interpret the histological data and
provide input into the most effective therapeutic regimen. 6. Consult weekly
with the PI on the progression of the project, and the PI will assist in the
decision process to meet the designated goals. 7. Meet with visiting
scientists to exchange ideas and present data at national forums and
departmental seminars. 8. Train and supervise graduate or undergraduate
students and other laboratory personnel on cryostat and laboratory equipment
use and any histotechniques when needed. In an attempt to develop
therapeutics for multiple sclerosis (MS) and Information arthritis, human
autoimmune degenerative diseases associated with inflammation and
destruction of self tissues by autoreactive T cells, we have discovered that
our M cell targeting vector when genetically fused with auto-antigen,
exhibits potent anti-inflammatory properties capable of treating
inflammatory diseases. One such experimental inflammatory disease,
experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE), resembles MS, upon
immunization with myelin peptides or proteins. EAE is a T cell-dependent
disease, and these encephalitogenic T cells secrete Th1-type cytokines,
including IFN-γ and IL-2, and Th17-type cytokines, including IL-6, IL-17,
and IL-21. A number of studies have evaluated whether oral tolerance could
be adapted for treating MS but have met with limited success, thus,
presenting a major hurdle for implementing treatment of this autoimmune
disease. Experimentally, oral tolerance has proven successful for EAE,
although it has lagged behind in treatment of MS; however, conceptually,
oral tolerance could be an effective means to stimulate anti-inflammatory
that oral administration of our M cell-based therapeutics, when administered
to EAE-susceptible mice, will prevent and treat EAE. Likewise, when
administered to arthritis-susceptible mice, the same therapeutics can treat
collagen-induced arthritis. To test our hypothesis, 1) studies will
determine whether the described M cell-based therapeutics can suppresses or
bypass inflammation via induction of regulatory T cells or plasmacytoid
dendritic cells; 2) studies will determine how these therapeutics operate in
treating ongoing EAE or arthritis by conducting adoptive transfer studies;
and 3) studies will determine which inflammatory cell pathways are
neutralized by treatment with these therapeutics. Thus, from these studies
we will learn the specific mechanisms induced by this anti-inflammatory
vaccine.

Departmental Information:  In an attempt to develop therapeutics for
[...]
means to stimulate anti-inflammatory responses, if appropriately formulated.
To enable treatment, we hypothesized that oral administration of our M
cell-based therapeutics, when administered to EAE-susceptible mice, will
prevent and treat EAE. Likewise, when administered to arthritis-susceptible
mice, the same therapeutics can treat collagen-induced arthritis. To test
our hypothesis, 1) studies will determine whether the described M cell-based
therapeutics can suppresses or bypass inflammation via induction of
regulatory T cells or plasmacytoid dendritic cells; 2) studies will
determine how these therapeutics operate in treating ongoing EAE or
arthritis by conducting adoptive transfer studies; and 3) studies will
determine which inflammatory cell pathways are neutralized by treatment with
these therapeutics. Thus, from these studies we will learn the specific
mechanisms induced by this anti-inflammatory vaccine.

The Successful Candidate Will:   Good organizational, communication, and
interpersonal skills to accomplish designated goals of this project and
ability to work with other investigators

Application Procedure: Screening of applications will begin on December 21,
2009 and continue until the position is filled. To apply, submit: 1) a
letter of application that addresses the required and preferred
qualifications listed above; 2) a resume and 3) the contact information of
three professional references.

Electronic submissions in PDF to  Dr. David Pascual,
<mailto:dpascual <@t> montana.edu> dpascual <@t> montana.edu