AW: [Histonet] Organizing of cassettes for processing

Gudrun Lang gu.lang <@t> gmx.at
Thu Aug 27 10:25:56 CDT 2009

We seperate biopsies and grossed tissue before grossing. They get into
differently coloured cassettes, and different VIPs. The cassettes of the
grossed tissue are put directly into the VIP baskets - short time dry, then
put into a container with formalin. While grossing a report is written. So
the order of the cassettes is mostly the same as the numbers on the report.
Urgent cases have an extra colour.
After embedding, the cassettes and the report are checked. Urgent cases are
embedded first, then biopsies, grossed tissue is sorted according to the
report not numbers.
With slide-delivering we check sildes and report again. So mislabelled or
missing cassettes and slides are identified.
Gudrun

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] Im Auftrag von
bamoe <@t> gundluth.org
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 26. August 2009 22:38
An: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Betreff: [Histonet] Organizing of cassettes for processing

Hi all -

For those that do batch overnight processing, how do you organize the
cassettes?

Currently we have 2 path assistants that gross throughout the day, and each
puts their cassettes as they are grossed into a bucket of formalin.  At the
end of the day a histotech drains the formalin off, rinses the cassettes in
water, then manually puts the cassettes into order according to our
worklist, with rush cases being put up front.  The baskets are then loaded
onto the tissue processor (Sakura VIP5 and VIP6).

We are wondering if there are some other ideas of how to streamline this
process.  One thought was to have the cassettes loaded/organized into the
tissue processing basket as they are grossed, but have a concern about
formalin exposure while doing this.

Barb Moe
Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center
La Crosse WI