[Histonet] Organizing of cassettes for processing

Carol Bryant cbrya <@t> lexclin.com
Thu Aug 27 08:55:49 CDT 2009

We load the cassettes into the tissue processing basket as they are grossed in.  They stay in a container of formalin until they are loaded on the tissue processor. What concern about formalin exposure do you have with this method?  The gross hood is on while they are doing this.  We also monitor our formalin exposure annually and I have the path assistant wear the formalin badge while she performs this task.  Our readings have always been well below the acceptable range.  If there is a better method I may be interested in it also.
Thanks,
Carol

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of bamoe <@t> gundluth.org
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:38 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Organizing of cassettes for processing

Hi all -

For those that do batch overnight processing, how do you organize the
cassettes?

Currently we have 2 path assistants that gross throughout the day, and each
puts their cassettes as they are grossed into a bucket of formalin.  At the
end of the day a histotech drains the formalin off, rinses the cassettes in
water, then manually puts the cassettes into order according to our
worklist, with rush cases being put up front.  The baskets are then loaded
onto the tissue processor (Sakura VIP5 and VIP6).

We are wondering if there are some other ideas of how to streamline this
process.  One thought was to have the cassettes loaded/organized into the
tissue processing basket as they are grossed, but have a concern about
formalin exposure while doing this.

Barb Moe
Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center
La Crosse WI