[Histonet] Cleaning oil off objectives

Smith, Allen asmith <@t> mail.barry.edu
Mon Aug 24 07:58:46 CDT 2009

If the contamination is fresh, a bit of spit on a piece of lens paper will usually remove it.  Human salivary mucin is an excellent emulsifier.  The best thing for removing old contamination is cedarwood oil.  Again, use a drop on  a piece of lens paper.
Allen A. Smith
Professor of Anatomy
Barry University School of Podiatric Medicine

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Va Paula Sicurello
Sent: Friday, August 21, 2009 12:56 PM
To: Pamela Marcum; HistoNet
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Cleaning oil off objectives

I use a dog chewed old stick.

On another note,  how to clean off dried mounting media.  I have several objectives where some goombahs dragged the objectives through wet mounting media.

If y'all have any suggestions about removing dried mounting media.  Send them my way.

4 of my 5 objectives are no longer objective after having their lenses clouded by the media.  ;-)

Paula

Paula Sicurello
VA Medical Center San Diego
Veterans Medical Research Foundation (VMRF)
Core for Micro Imaging(C-MI)
3350 La Jolla Village Dr., MC151
San Diego, CA 92161
858-552-8585 x2397