[Histonet] Re: clearing agent for gross specimens

Robert Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 15:57:32 CDT 2009

Gudrun Lang in Austria asks a question about grossing colons I should
have addressed earlier:

>>A question about the practical grossing of colons with clearing fixative. Do you put the whole colon in the clearing fixative? Or do you cut the mesocolon off and fix it separated and put the colon itself in NBF?<<

You detach the mesenteries, cut them into fairly thin slices, and put
the slices in the clearing fixative. The rest of the colon is fixed in
neutral buffered formalin, pinned to a board if possible. Both should
be fixed overnight. Epiploic appendages and other non-mesenteric fat
can be put in the formalin and not further dissected.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN