[Histonet] Reimbursement for IHC Tests from Medicare/Medicaid

Weems, Joyce JWeems <@t> sjha.org
Thu Aug 20 13:35:35 CDT 2009

Sorry, Guys.. I can't do basic math... So recounting - it is x 9 - not x
6!

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Weems,
Joyce
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2009 11:41
To: Akemi Allison-Tacha; histonet
Cc: jchanmd <@t> mindspring.com; jsong <@t> apmglab.com; esandoval <@t> apmglab.com
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Reimbursement for IHC Tests from
Medicare/Medicaid

You can charge one CPT 88342 for each ab on each specimen, but not
multiple blocks of the same antibody on the same specimen.

e.g.  You receive 3 sentinel nodes  - A, B, C, on a melanoma resection
and you do HMB45, S100 and Melan A on each specimen, the charge is 88342
x 6. If you have 2 blocks on A, and B, your charge will still be x 6.

I hope this makes sense. J

Joyce Weems
Pathology Manager
Saint Joseph's Hospital