[Histonet] Re: Freezing in Hexane

Robert Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 14:40:01 CDT 2009

Dorothy Murphy Traczyk at Murphy-Traczyk & Associates in Point
Pleasant, NJ asks about using hexane for snap-freezing.

I wouldn't want any of the hexanes (there are several isomers) or
2-methylbutane around my lab because of the explosion hazard if I
could avoid it.

Look up 3M Novec Engineered Fluid HFE-7100 (methyl nonafluoroisobutyl
ether) in the Histonet archives (accessible through Google). Probably
usable for this purpose, and not flammable.

If you do this, please report your experience to Histonet - several of
us on here are interested.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN