[Histonet] Golgi stain

MKing making <@t> ufl.edu
Tue Aug 4 13:07:02 CDT 2009

Frauke,

There are some published methods for doing Golgi on brain sections:

Freund TF, Somogyi P. The section-Golgi impregnation procedure. 1.
Description of the method and its combination with histochemistry after
intracellular iontophoresis or retrograde transport of horseradish
peroxidase. Neuroscience. 1983 Jul;9(3):463-74.

Somogyi P, Freund TF, Wu JY, Smith AD. The section-Golgi impregnation
procedure. 2. Immunocytochemical demonstration of glutamate
decarboxylase in Golgi-impregnated neurons and in their afferent
synaptic boutons in the visual cortex of the cat. Neuroscience. 1983
Jul;9(3):475-90.

Bolam JP, Ingham CA, Smith AD. The section-Golgi-impregnation
procedure--3. Combination of Golgi-impregnation with enzyme
histochemistry and electron microscopy to characterize
acetylcholinesterase-containing neurons in the rat neostriatum.
Neuroscience. 1984 Jul;12(3):687-709.

Gabbott PL, Somogyi J. The 'single' section Golgi-impregnation
procedure: methodological description. J Neurosci Methods. 1984
Sep;11(4):221-30.

Harris KM, Cruce WL, Greenough WT, Teyler TJ. A Golgi impregnation
technique for thin brain slices maintained in vitro. J Neurosci Methods.
1980 Aug;2(4):363-71.

Spacek J. Dynamics of the Golgi method: a time-lapse study of the early
stages of impregnation in single sections. J Neurocytol. 1989
Feb;18(1):27-38.

Moss TL, Whetsell WO. Techniques for thick-section Golgi impregnation of
formalin-fixed brain tissue. Methods Mol Biol. 2004;277:277-85.

I don't remember if any of these discuss re-staining, but if you don't
have any silver chromate crystals in the specimens it probably can't
hurt to return them to the chromation step.  Tricky business getting
consistent staining on sections in any case.  You might still be able to
use a Cox alternative.  I've had good luck with Gibb and Kolb's method
on some thick sections although it was described for whole brain (Gibb
R, Kolb B. A method for vibratome sectioning of Golgi-Cox stained whole
rat brain. J Neurosci Methods. 1998 Jan 31;79(1):1-4.).

Good luck,
Mike King
UF Pharmacology & Therapeutics

Message: 20