[Histonet] Grossing

Joe Nocito jnocito <@t> satx.rr.com
Thu Apr 23 19:47:17 CDT 2009

Schaundra,
we have residents and  2 PAs perform all the grossing. In real tight
situations, we have a couple of qualified grossing histotechs we can rely on
in a pinch. we have histotechs set up the specimens, but the residents and
PA's gross alone. We are responsible for annotating any special procedures
that need to be ordered. Our grossing cutoff time is 5:30 PM because of the
start time of the tissue processors (we start embedding at 3:00 AM).

JTT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Schaundra Walton" <schaundrawalton <@t> yahoo.com>
To: "Histonet" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2009 1:25 PM
Subject: [Histonet] Grossing

We are evaluating some of our grossing procedures and cut off times and I
was wondering what other people are doing.

Who does your grossing, pathologist, PA, or other qualified individuals?
Who does you accessioning, histotechs, support staff, or other?
What is your cut off time for grossing tissues?

Right now our pathologists gross all tissues, the histotechs accession, and
grossing is done up until 6pm (which is when the processor begins).

Thanks for the info!

-Schaundra Walton HTL(ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
Swedish American Hospital