[Histonet] Reusing specimen containers

Martin, Gary gmartin <@t> marshallmedical.org
Tue Apr 21 18:07:58 CDT 2009

We cleaned bottles everyday for years and never had a problem ... having
said that ... it not a good idea in the end because of the time and the
exposure to the formalin.
Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Daniel
Schneider
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 11:53 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Reusing specimen containers

I have no idea what CAP or JCAHO says about this but it's a very bad
idea.
Cross contamination happens.  If you reuse containers -- and I don't
care
what precautions you take -- you will rarely or occasionally fail to
adequately clean a container and you will end up mixing patient tissues.

The cost of a specimen container is a minute fraction of the cost of
processing a specimen.  Ask yourself how much money you're really
saving.
You're scrapping for pennies.  Or is this some sort of "green"
initiative?
 In any case, it's asking for problems

Daniel Schneider

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 11:43 AM, Kelly Colpitts
<kelly_colpitts <@t> hotmail.com