[Histonet] Reusing specimen containers

Stephen Peters M.D. petepath <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Apr 21 17:40:50 CDT 2009

I do not know the regulation on this but certainly fixing pans are used repeatedly and probably often without meticulous cleaning. I would venture to  guess that before there
were so many disposables available, reusing containers was common place.  I have to agree with Daniel Schneider. Risk of cross contamination of small biopsy container would not be worth the cost savings. And if it was cleaned very well what would cost more the container or the person cleaning it? On the other hand I hate seeing all that plastic in the garbage and ending up incinerated. I wonder if it would be legal to autoclave it and recycle it? Is anyone recycling all this plastic? Sounds like a noble business venture.

Stephen Peters M.D.
201 847 0052

Pathology Innovations, LLC
410 Old Mill Lane,