[Histonet] Cloudy MMA embedded block

ooi.ting.huay <@t> nhc.com.sg ooi.ting.huay <@t> nhc.com.sg
Tue Apr 21 00:33:18 CDT 2009

Hi,

I am trying very hard to get a clear MMA embedded block. I am appreciate
if there is any advice on doing it. I am using 100% MMA (liquid) and 0.5%
Perkadox 16 (powder) to do the embedding. I have tried to embed the sample
in different conditions. However, it seems to be extremely hard to get a
clear embedded block.

Below are the methods that I have tried.

1. Before embedding, bring the MMA and perkadox 16 to room temperature.
After a few mix it by invertion, I aliquot the solution to the glass vials
that contain samples or simply glass vials that without sample. I put the
glass vials (both with and without sample) in 4 degree, room temperature
and even 37degree oven.

2. Mix the MMA and perkadox when it is cold, invert it a few times.
Aliquot it to glass vials that contain sample or without sample. Put in
4degree, room temperature and 37degree oven.

I have also tried to speed up the polymerization process by using vacumm
for a few samples...

Throughout all the sample that I have, I only manage to get a clear empty
glass vial which I put in the 4degree for one month and a clear embedded
sample which I put in 4 degree overnight and bring it out to room
temperature. The rest of the glass vials (with or without sample) are
cloudy.

I have repeated the methods that I used to get a clear embedded block, I
did not get any clear block (for both with and without sample).

I am glad if there is any expert advice or guidance. We need a clear
embedded sample. Thank you very much!

Regards,
Ooi