[Histonet] BRDU, tetracycline and calcein IV in bone

Walters, Katherine S katherine-walters <@t> uiowa.edu
Mon Apr 20 13:18:44 CDT 2009

This may be a question for Gayle, or someone else who specializes in
bone.  I will be doing a project involving the facial bones of 8
week-old rabbits.  We want to look at regeneration of bone in this area.
I have some experience with BRDU in mouse tissues.
 My questions are:
1.)  Will decalcification affect the BRDU signal?
	If not, what is the best method for decalcification?
Approximately how long?
2.)  Do I need to use a ground section for tetracycline and calcein IV
or can I decalcify and paraffin embed?
3.)  What is the best fixation procedure?
4.)  Anything I need to know, but am too naive to ask?

Thanks for any information you can share!

Katherine Walters
Histology Director
Central Microscopy Research Facilities
85 Eckstein Medical Research Building