[Histonet] Masson Trichrome

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 16 19:14:06 CDT 2009

I'll send you our procedure under a separate cover.

Couple of thoughts:
1. Try extending time in Bouins to 1 hour. If you put room temperature
Bouins in the 60 degree oven with your slides, at 30 minutes, it's just
finally getting up to 60 degrees. So extend the time to 45-60 minutes, so it
has 15-30 minutes at 60 degrees.

2. Weigert's usually ends up being pulled out. Most of the time, the
pathologists don't even notice that the nuclei are red. They just care to
differentiate blue collagen from red muscle/cytoplasm.

3. There are a variety of red dyes that can be used, each one giving you a
slightly different shade and intensity of red. Most are interchangeable -
many of the Ponceau varieties can be used, as well as biebrich scarlet, acid
fuchsin, etc. Of the Ponceau, the Ponceau S (CI #27195) seems to be most
intense, but is a little more on the pinky/magenta side of red.

4. We use just PTA. PMA costs a lot more, and we didn't find any improvement
over plain ole PTA.

5. The Aniline blue is probably the most important step, and works best if
checked with the microscope. Some specimens become blue very quickly, and
look best if pulled out after 1-2 minutes. Some need 5 minutes. Some need 10
minutes. I've found, it the collagen doesn't stain by 10 minutes, it's not
going to get any bluer, and in fact the red muscle begins to pick up some of
the blue after 10 minutes. I also found, the more you wash in water to check
the intensity of blue, the more the red muscle picks up blue, and the blue
collagen begins to look purplish. So I check it at 2 minutes and 5 minutes,
and pull it out at 2 or 5, if it's the right intensity. If the blue is too
pale at 5 minutes, I leave it for the full 10 minutes, and then pull it out
at that point.

6. Cut down the time of water rinses after aniline blue to a couple of
changes, 5 seconds each. (see #5 for reason).

7. If you are having problems with pale blue intensity, skip the acetic acid
rinse completely. Make the stain more "delicate", but can be skipped.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SL
Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073