[Histonet] ISO

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Apr 16 10:34:34 CDT 2009

Last year CAP began issuing ISO certifications for the med lab (ISO15189-2003) which uses more statistical analysis and is adaptable to the med lab where most of the results are quantitative. CAP offered the certification as an additional one and not to substitute its own certification.
As for the histolab, the only ISO that could be used is ISO9001-2000 that is just a management tool where the results are guaranteed to be obtained according to standards that are not general but particular of each lab, is like saying that the procedures follow what is described in the SOP. Regarding the histolab productivity each one will have to define their own standards and assure that they are met.
The CAP certification for histolabs is more than enough, but in the competitive health care environment any good salesperson working for any given med lab can use an "ISO certification" as a sales enticement for the potential clients, even if they do not know what ISO is.
René J.

--- On Thu, 4/16/09, Jane C. Moose <Jane.Moose <@t> NewberryHospital.net> wrote:

From: Jane C. Moose <Jane.Moose <@t> NewberryHospital.net>
Subject: [Histonet] ISO
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Thursday, April 16, 2009, 10:41 AM

Is anyone in histoland ISO certified or working on it.  Our rural
hospital for which the lab is CAP accredited has decided to become ISO
certified, all departments. It is a 2 year plan  and we have just
started.   It is quite a process to correlate CAP  and ISO.  We are not
doing the CAP-- ISO process.  Would appreciate any insight or
suggestions. Thanks

Jane Moose

LIS Coordinator

Newberry County Memorial Hospital