[Histonet] 5 Reasons

Kemlo Rogerson Kemlo.Rogerson <@t> waht.swest.nhs.uk
Wed Apr 15 06:13:28 CDT 2009

The Technical Staff in Pathology seem to fall into two types; those that
manage machines and computers and try to optimise their outputs. The
others use manual skills to create something, be it a slide, smear or
result from an agar plate (although I concede Micro is becoming
automated). I guess you choose the discipline that reflects your skills
and I guess the skills of a HistTech are manual dexterity, good hand eye
co-ordination and the ability to follow a procedure without deviation.
We don't have the machines, by and large, to automate our procedures
(except for H&E, Immunocytochemistry and many of the routine stains). I
guess one of the 5 is how you personally are 'wired'; are you a techy or
are you a craftsman. I don't believe that any of those genre to be
subservient to the other, just different skills. You could turn a
Microbiologist into a Histotech but can you turn a Chemist or a
Haematologist? As a Histotech that became a Cytologist (a morphologist)
and then a Manager, I'm interested in the skills that make us good (or
not) at what we do; I for one am still looking (g).

Kemlo Rogerson
e-mail kemlorogerson <@t> nhs.net if not at work.
DD   01934 647057 or extension 3311     Mob 07749 754194;
Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. --Jonah
Lehrer
This e-mail is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient please accept my apologies; please do not disclose, copy or
distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on
its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
Please inform me that this message has gone astray before deleting it.
Thank you for your co-operation