[Histonet] Negative IHC controls

Joe Nocito jnocito <@t> satx.rr.com
Wed Apr 8 16:18:27 CDT 2009

we're running one negative normal serum slide per block. For example, if
we're performing mouse antibodies i.e. CD-45, HMB-45, pan Cytokeratin, we
run one IgG mouse normal serum control. If we are running rabbit polyclonals
(or rabbit monoclonals) and mouse monoclonals on the same case, we usually
would run a IgG normal mouse and normal rabbit serum slide. Now, I know the
purists out there are going to tell me what if I use an IgM mouse
monoclonal, I should be running an IgM mouse normal serum. I agree, but my
budget doesn't allow to run a negative for all scenarios. In that frame of
mind, if we run a case with multiple different pretreatments, we run a
negative on the harshest pretreatment. Again, not ideal, but I think it is
better than just putting PBS or TBS buffer on a slide and calling that
negative. That's my 3 cents worth and I'm sticking to that story.

JTT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Sheila Haas" <micropathlabs <@t> yahoo.com>
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 1:57 PM
Subject: [Histonet] Negative IHC controls

I have a question concerning ANP.22570 on the CAP checklist. Could you all
tell me how you are handling
negative controls for IHC staining? The question actually states (and I've
confirmed with CAP) that we should be running two types of negative
controls. One for reagents and one for each antibody in a run. I'd like to
know
what the practice is. This seems very costly and time consuming. Thanks in
advance!

Sheila Haas
Laboratory Supervisor
Micro Path Laboratories