[Histonet] Sara Sorry to see you go

Bernie Taupin bernietaupin <@t> ymail.com
Mon Apr 6 17:37:04 CDT 2009

This is a great example of the sort of missive that could more appropriately have been sent privately, off-list, yeah?

________________________________
From: Akemi Allison-Tacha <akemiat3377 <@t> yahoo.com>
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; SaraBreeden <sbreeden <@t> nmda.nmsu.edu>
Sent: Monday, April 6, 2009 3:41:57 PM
Subject: [Histonet] Sara Sorry to see you go

Hi Sara,
I for one will be sad to see your absence.  Perhaps in the future, you will reconsider and join our group again.  It is extremely unfortunate to see these grown men acting like FOOLS!

I have been pretty much a voyeur as of late, unless I have something credible to say or ask, but I feel the urge to state my feelings as a fellow histologist.  And by the way, there are a number of extremely prominent histologists and pathologists that have stated they are voyeurs too!  They may not go on line, but they see your postings!  They have all taken note of this stupid on-line communication.  I don't think these individuals realize that the pathology community observes these communications, and this may come back to bite them in the butt later on down the line!  It lowers the image of these individuals as professionals, and their names and verbiage are forever archived in our memories.  "Once you ring the bell, you can't un-ring it"!
The Histonet Forum was initially created and funded by histology vendors and concerned histologists to help us as a group.  I maybe wrong, but I thought it's purpose was to expand our knowledge in this valuable profession.  I have been utilizing this wonderful tool, since almost the beginning.  It was an eye opening experience when I started seeing pathologists joining in.  It made me realize that they too saw the merit in this wonderful tool for sharing our knowledge and experiences.

I have been involved in histology since taking classes in histomicrotechnic at Tokyo University in 1968.  The older I get, the more I realize how little I know.  Especially with the use of molecular biology, and more and more esoteric testing.  We are experiencing a metamorphosis in our field, and forums such as this, are extremely valuable!
Those of us who use this tool, do so, because we care about giving the best possible patient care.  At least I use to think so........ This is a wonderful tool for histologists, researchers, and concerned pathologists, to come together for the sole purpose to learn and grow (then there's the Friday good hearted release of steam....)  The Histonet is especially important for those individuals who are geographically isolated, and do not have the means to attend continuing education classes.
It is my belief that the Histonet was never intended to be used as a tool as these individuals have so irresponsibly done.  It is childish and unprofessional.  This sort of use just shows how unthinking and selfish these individuals are.  I am ashamed that the pathology community sees this sort of communication between histologists.  It demeans us as a whole.  I don't think these men realize what fallout may occur.  We may have this taken away from us because they have not used their good judgement, common sense, and restraint!  I realize that in the past, I too may have spoken a little out of turn, but this thread has become an embarrassment.
I have recently accepted a employment opportunity to go back to managing a histology lab, and will ask my fellow histologists for their assistance.  I truly hope there will be a Histonet available when I need you!
Let's hope we can learn from this experience and move on.........
Regards,Akemi
Akemi Allison-Tacha BS, HT (ASCP) HTL

President

Phoenix Lab Consulting

Specializing in Histology, SS, IHC, & TMA

Tele: (425) 941-4287

E-Mail: akemiat3377 <@t> yahoo.com