[Histonet] Question: Slides/Day?

Michael LaFriniere MLafrini <@t> csmlab.com
Mon Apr 6 12:58:20 CDT 2009

Alyssa,

As Director of  a large AP lab here in Maryland, to answer your question to the best ability, one would need additional information.

Currently under accreditation guidelines a Cytotechnologist is "allowed to read "100  non imaged" slides per 24 hour period, or 200 {negative} "imaged" slides per 24 hour period [GYN cases]...however, I find this not practical in the "real world" to include probably not the best practice for high quality patient care...
THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION with the 25 years + of experience I encompass....In my lab I like to have a Cytotechnologist with 5+ years of experience reading up to 75-85 slides that are non imaged and 120-140 slides that are imaged. Our quality indicators demonstrate these are the levels that produce the best productivity while maintaining high quality Assurance of patient care.. our lab does have high retainment of Cytotechnologists, in fact I have a waiting list of Cytotech's for openings. I pay less then the 75% percentile for Cytotech wages nation wide, however,  I offer a daily flex schedule to allow the Cytotech to come in anytime throughout the day to work their 8-9 hours they feel at their best to meet their production standard and the expectation of maintaining a low FNP.

Non GYN's fall under the non imaged category and screening times are dependant on the type of case....

Hope this helps

Michael

Michael R. LaFriniere
Executive Director
Cytology Services of Maryland (CSM)
301-206-2555 ext 27      301-206-2595 fax
michael.lafriniere <@t> csmlab.com

>>> On 4/2/2009 at 4:38 PM, "Joyce Cline" <jcline <@t> wchsys.org> wrote:

Our cytotechs screen 40 to 60 a day.