[Histonet] Removing PMMA blocks from glass vials

Robert Schoonhoven robert_schoonhoven <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Apr 3 14:10:05 CDT 2009

Paul,

Put in LN2 (or leave in -80 freezer for about 1 hour).  Using the appropriate PPE, wrap in towel, hit with Hammer (gently...), welcome to use this SOP.

Bob,

Robert Schoonhoven

________________________________
From: "Monfils, Paul" <PMonfils <@t> Lifespan.org>
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Friday, April 3, 2009 2:00:20 PM
Subject: [Histonet] Removing PMMA blocks from glass vials

Someone gave me some small PMMA blocks polymerized inside glass scintillation vials.  I always use plastic vials.  Obviously the vials have to be broken to get the blocks out.  Does anyone have some advice on the best way to do this?  The guy who brought them said he thought I could "use liquid nitrogen", but had no specifics.  Any help will be appreciated.