[Histonet] RE: Histonet Digest, Vol 65, Issue 7

Terri Braud tbraud <@t> holyredeemer.com
Fri Apr 3 07:42:19 CDT 2009

Hello Histonetters,
I understand most of the professionals on this website are histology
professionals, however, I thought I would give it a try since I have not
found a cytology listserv yet. Does anyone know how many slides per day a
cytotechnologist would screen within a private lab setting (On average)?
Alyssa Peterson
Allied Search Partners
O: 770.621.2639 ext. 4
F: 770.621.2640

Hi Alyssa - Get ready...here is the dirt

CAP follows CLIA-88, and both are quite clear on limits for Cytotech screening.
They are "no more than 100 slides in 24 hours" and include gyn and non-gyn including "new routine slides, 10% rescreen slides, and 5 year look back negative slides"
"the maximum workload of 100 slides can be completed in no less than an 8-hour workday.  This workload can also be expressed as slides per hour and is 12.5 slides/hour.  These total limits apply regardless of the number of laboratories in which an individual works on a given day."
    Wait! it gets better....
"For primary screening of gyn liquid based preps" (read as Thin Prep) "each slide must be counted as a single slide for the purpose of workload recording."
"For primary screening of non-gyn liquid based preps" (read as Thin Prep) "each slide may be counted as one-half slide for the purpose of workload recording, provided that the cells are dispersed over one-half or less of the total available slide area."
     Wait! there's still more...
"Workload calculations may vary with the use of automated screening instruments. Laboratories should follow manufacturers instructions for workload calculations and must assure that CLIAA-88 requirements are fulfilled."
	and just when you thought it was safe....
"The laboratory director must establish the maximum workload (based on the capability/documented performance evaluation) for each individual examining slides and the limit must be reassessed at least every 6 months."
The regulations go on to explain how the reassessment is to be done...blah, blah, blah....
Though my background and education are in Histology, I've served as technical supervisor over cytology departments for over 14 years, and the above listed %#@&! is why Cytology can drive you up the wall.
Our cytotech's, when we had them, screened no more than 80 slides/day, when all they did was screen.  No pulling slides, no running up to do an FNA....just sitting non-stop and screening slides. UGH!
Sorry Histo folk - but some of you are probably in the same position as I am, so please feel free to chime in.
Terri

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Laboratory
Holy Redeemer Hospital and Medical Center
1648 Huntingdon Pike
Meadowbrook, PA 19046
(215) 938-3676 phone
(215) 938-3689 fax

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This E-Mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which
it was sent. It may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential,
and the use or disclosure of such information may also be restricted under applicable
federal and state law. If you received this communication in error, please do not
distribute any part of it or retain any copies, and delete the original E-Mail.
Please notify the sender of any error by E-Mail.

Thank you for your cooperation.