[Histonet] So... I Need Some Expert Advice (forum for information):

anh2006 <@t> med.cornell.edu anh2006 <@t> med.cornell.edu
Thu Apr 2 11:52:28 CDT 2009

True true that would be cool. But I don't mind repeated topics being discussed again and again - it isn't always a bad thing, as although histology is a very old and largely well-established science, there is room for improvements and modifications over time.so I appreciate the ongoing discussions over the years, even if a lot of things get repeated.

And there ARE a lot of protocols and stable forum websites out there for histo stuff. As fab as Histonet is, it is one of many online resources I consult daily.

Andrea

-----Original Message-----
From: Nicole Collette <collette2 <@t> mail.llnl.gov>

Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 09:43:04
To: HISTONET<histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Subject: RE: [Histonet] So... I Need Some Expert Advice (forum for	information):

Hi, All,

I'm not generally one to put in my two cents' worth, but today I'm
feeling especially chipper.
In my world, (idealistic optimist that I am), I would love to see
something like a cross between PLoS One, Wikipedia, and Cold Spring
Harbor protocols- A mainstream, accepted (or widely used but still
not definitive) protocol, or commonly used equipment, with links to
discussion for individual steps or reagents. For example, fixing
tissue would list a set of reagents, a basic process, and reagents or
steps that are often up for debate (Why use NBF? what is
paraformaldehyde? what does glutaraldehyde do? How do you get that
picric acid yellow out?) would be associated with a link to
discussion, so that people who are just looking for the facts can
have them readily available, without side comments, and those who
want to know the nitty gritty details that cause controversy can make
their own judgements, or add their own comments. Now, I'm not at all
technologically able to build this resource, but would give anyone
who wanted to take it on an "Attaboy!" or "Attagirl! " And if you do,
please send me the link ;) There's a lot of good info here, and some
really great expertise, but finding it threaded through the archives
is not the easiest way to find this stuff, and it is evident by the
discussions that come up over and over. Thanks for listening! Keep up
the good work!

Sincerely,
Nicole Collette