[Histonet] skin & JB-4

Lancaster, Winston C winston <@t> saclink.csus.edu
Thu Apr 2 07:37:34 CDT 2009

Greetings,
     I have a project sectioning whole bat genital organs. The study, in part, involves measurement and so to avoid shrinkage I am using JB-4 and cutting with a glass knife. The tissue comes out very well except for one problem.  The epidermis pulls away from the medium.  I have tried leaving the tissue to infiltrate in the catalyzed resin for days and trimming all the little hairs and bristles), to no avail (have not tried bikini waxing as I don't want to destroy the follicles.  Later I embedded a patch of skin from the torso and had the same results. Has anyone seen this before?  Were you able to solve it? Is there another medium that anyone could suggest that will minimize shrinkage while also adhering to the epidermis?

Thanks,

Winston

Winston C. Lancaster
Dept. of Biological Sciences