[Histonet] Need volunteers for lab study

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 28 18:22:27 CDT 2008

I'm working on a research project for my master's class on safety
management. It's involving brachytherapy seeds that are sometimes found in
TURPS and whole prostates received in histology (grossing and sectioning).

I'm gathering data as to how radioactive these seeds are X number of months
after implantation. I'm finding out that most Radiation Safety Officers in
most hospitals don't know that histology receives prostates with these seeds
in them. Nor does Brachytherapy - they're assuming that once the seeds are
implanted, they are in the patient for life. And no one knows if the seeds
are still radioactive when we receive them in grossing and during
sectioning. And I can't find any articles on the topics, expect that the NRC
(National Regulatory Commission) says if the lab receives radioactive
specimens, then we are under the same guidelines for radiation as, say,
brachytherapy, nuclear medicine, etc.

What I need are some other hospitals in the US to help me gather information
as to number of times these seeds are received. For this class, I just need
help gathering information in October and November.

Please email me directly - If you are willing to:
- let me know when you receive one/some of these seeds in a whole prostate
or TURP
- how many total number of whole prostates and TURPS you received in Oct and
Nov (I'm hoping a quick computer search would work)
- and if you are willing to do a little more checking when you receive any
seeds, such as
     - patient history as to when the seeds were implanted (pathologist
hopefully will get this history), and
     - if possible, if they are iodine (I-125) or palladium (Pd-103) (again,
maybe the pathologist will find this on the patient's history).

I do NOT need any information about the patient, so don't worry about HIPPA.

I know I won't get that many cases at our hospital over the next two months
(research paper due in December), so I'm hoping for more hospitals will
participate, so I get better data. I'm particularly interested in hospitals
that HAVE received seeds in the past, as I'm guessing these labs are more
likely to receive the seeds in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Peggy Wenk
Lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net