[Histonet] HTL Flash Cards?

Bryan Llewellyn llewllew <@t> shaw.ca
Sat Sep 27 12:10:03 CDT 2008

In the three example cards they show there are errors.

In the first one it gives "liter" and "meter".  I know this spelling is
common in the United States, but I believe the SI standard is "litre" and
"metre".  In other words, include both.

In the middle one, about reticulin staining, I would dispute the dogmatic
nature of the information.  Although this is a common explanation, it is not
the modern one, which uses analogies to the photographic process.  It is
presented as absolute fact when it is an unproven suggestion as to what may
happen.

The final one, about dye structure, uses "chromogen" as a synonym for
"chromophore", whereas it is a little used term for the dye+chromophore
combination.  For that reason, the final use of "chromophore" should
actually be "chromogen".  The word "auxophore" does not exist.  It should be
auxochrome.

If you are going to use flash cards for improving rote learning of facts,
make sure the facts being learned are correct.  I suggest that students
should have the cards checked out by an experienced educator technologist
before using them, as first-learned information stays with you for decades.

Bryan Llewellyn