[Histonet] Humidity levels in the lab

Thomas Jasper tjasper <@t> copc.net
Fri Sep 19 17:01:34 CDT 2008

Julie,

I can't offer you any references, but here's something to consider.  A
cool mist humidifier in your lab.  We are in Bend, OR., on the dry side
of the Cascades.  Running the humidifier reduces static and makes
sectioning a bit easier.  No hard science with this, just a little more
atmospheric moisture.
By the way, the humidifier I bought is a big blue and white penguin.
The mist streams out the beak.  Just looking at it makes you smile.  I
bought it at Target for ~ $40.00 - it works for us.
Have a good weekend.
Tom J.

Thomas Jasper HT (ASCP) BAS
Histology Supervisor
Central Oregon Regional Pathology Services
Bend, Oregon 97701
541/693-2677
tjasper <@t> copc.net

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Randolph-Habecker, Julie
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2008 3:37 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Humidity levels in the lab

Folks,

We just moved to a new lab space in a new building. We are currently
running at 45% or lower humidity. I am working with our facilities on
raising the level but I am looking for some references for what level we
should aim for in regard to paraffin cutting. Does anyone have some
ideas or places to look for information?

Thanks!!

Julie

Julie Randolph-Habecker, Ph.D.
Staff Scientist - Director
Experimental Histopathology Shared Resource Fred Hutchinson Cancer
Research Center 1100 Fairview Ave, N. DE-360 (Please note new location)
Seattle WA 98109-1024
206-667-6119
jhabecke <@t> fhcrc.org